Wednesday, January 28, 2009

There are more differences than the way the way the water circles when you flush the toilet!

This is what January in Australia looks like. These were taken the week of the 45C heat wave.









Kennedy fainting from the heat....







The girls in front of their new house






There were a lot of people who told me there would be a culture shock when we came to Australia. A lot of these people have never been to Australia. In the 3 days that we have been here I have learned a few of the cultural similarities and differences between the 2 countries. I thought I would share some with you dedicated readers ( at least I hope there are some dedicated readers other than my family and people I bribed)



I'll start with my newly adopted homeland - Australia



-they drive on the wrong side of the road
-ketchup is called tomato sauce
-everybody is really friendly
-it's stinkin' hot
-5 minutes and 1 phone call to put insurance on the vehicle
-24 coke is $30
-it's +42 and people serve you room temperature drinks
-everybody has an accent except us
-public school kids wear uniforms to school
- it's stinkin hot in January




And on to my home and native land

-we drive on the right side of the road
-ketchup is called ketchup
-most people are really friendly
-it's not so hot
-6 people and 1 hour to put insurance on the vehicle
-24 coke is $7
-people drink frappaccinos in any weather
-we have no accent
-I wish public school kids wore uniforms
-in january - not so hot





I'm sure there will be more "cultural challenges" along the way but so far they have been easily over come. Now I can share the same words of wisdom when I hear that people are going to Australia, but I am living it!


























1 comment:

  1. Hey there. My name is Sharon. Im not sure if she has mentioned you. I write to Wendy regularly.I live in South Australia. So sorry that you have had to experience such a heatwave. I hope you enjoy yourselves. My email address is sharke61@bigpond.com Write anytime if you have questions. Its a beautiful country.........especially when its cool.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete