Friday, May 22, 2009

Five Things I Love About Living In Australia

Every Thursday my friend Peanut over at Weenuts posts a blog about 5 things that she loves. She comes up with some really great things. I always think about what she has written and compare my mental list to her written one. This week I thought I would actually post my own list on a frequently asked question - "How do you like living in Australia?".

Five Things I Love About Living In Australia

1. The silence

We have no cell phone, no answering machine and only one phone in the house. It is rare that the phone rings and if it does it is usually only 1 of a handful of people. That's the beauty of living in a place where you don't know anyone. The old saying "if it's important they'll call back" really holds true in our house. Having said that I reallyItalic would love a blackberry when we get back to Canada.



















2. The food

By this I mean the food when you are eating out. There is an abundance of food of different ethnicity available where ever you go. Even the food court at the shopping centre gives a variety of choices including Indian, Vietnamese, Chinese, Italian and Greek. The Thai restaurant that is located a short 5 minute walk from the house is reputed to be one of the best. Yummy!



















3. The clothes line

Yes, this seems relatively simple but honestly there is something to be said for hanging your sheets on the clothesline to dry and then crawling into a great smelling bed. It turns out it's good for the environment too. Who knew?



















4. The school

The school the girls are attending is literally a one minute walk down the street. There is a lollipop man (crossing guard) so you can cross safely to the school. During the school day the girls get a lot of physical activity. They get sport (PE) at least twice a week, drama, music, art, German and religious education in the curriculum. A lot of these activities can take place outside because of the favorable weather. The day is long for them (9 - 3:30) and they sleep very well at night!



















5. The house

The house we are living in here is smaller than our own house. This in turn means that there is a lot less to clean (only 1 toilet!). We do not have cable vision and almost no toys so the kids are forced to use their imaginations to play. We have had a lot of art work come our way and have played a lot of footy in the back yard. It's been good for all of us.



















I hope this some what answers the question about what we love about living here. There are many things about being here that cannot be explained: the people, the "no worries" attitude, the 10 minute commute to work. Having said all that, we love Canada and would not want to live any where else but while living here we have had numerous new experiences that we wouldn't trade for anything!

2 comments:

  1. If it weren't for the whole driving thing... I'd be on my way! Sounds like some really great perks living there. I love the sunset picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Australia and I would like to go there one day.

    ReplyDelete